This Week at Babeville 4/15 03/28/14
Here at RBR headquarters we couldn't be happier to be finished with all of our year end accounting/inventory so we can get back to work on the new album! Now if the sun would just come out already we would be over the moon.
Here are some things we can't get enough of:
1. Dust & Grooves is a great place to read about impressive record collections and the stories behind the collectors.
2. We recently stumbled upon Trebird Buffalo and fell in love with all of the beautiful jewelry then we realized all of the pieces are made from old skateboards! Awesome!
This Week at Babeville 4/8 04/08/14
1. Reproductive rights are under attack across the country. The Louisiana House of Representatives overwhelmingly passed a bill that would restrict access to abortion services in the state last week (3/31), the bill is now headed to the Louisiana Senate . There are similar fights in Alabama, Georgia, Missouri and more…check out Thisispersonal.org to learn more and join the fight.
2. In case you missed it, Hamell on Trial released an album at the end of February. If you haven't heard it yet you can stream the entire album here. If you like what you hear and want to purchase the album or catch a show you can find all the details at http://hamellontrial.com/
3. Last week we had a visit from Fruition, a charming folk band from Portland. They were passing through Buffalo for a gig and dropped by to say hello and play us a song. We are so happy they introduced us to their music and made our day at the office. So if you have some time please check them out- we promise you wont be disappointed.
We Are America 02/25/14
Have you guys checked out Esperanza Spalding’s new video for “We Are America”? It delivers a pretty powerful message and it’s damn catchy. Plus if you stick around to the 4:44 mark-you can catch Ani looking bad ass. So crank up your awful computer speakers and join in our Tuesday dance party- then call the White House and stir things up.
Ani Talks About Pete Seeger 01/29/14
Ani wrote a little something about the lessons she learned from Pete Seeger on the Wall Street Journal blog. We are attaching a excerpt below. If you would like to read it in it's entirety please go here.
"I once watched him do a press conference backstage at Madison Square Garden on the occasion of his 90th birthday celebration. One reporter rattled off a long history of his outstanding accomplishments and then asked, “Can you tell me, Mr. Seeger, what you are most proud of?” There was a pause and then Pete responded, “I stayed married to the best woman I ever met for 55 years and we raised 3 children and 6 grandchildren.” It struck me as a radical feminist flip of the script to hold up family and a history of positive personal relationships above worldly achievements.
Pete taught me you are never too old or too male to be a radical feminist."
This Week at Babeville- 1/22 01/22/14
It’s been a while but we’re back with all of our favorites for January.
Lily and Madeleine
Two sisters creating beautiful harmonies results in a haunting and ethereal folk album. Stand out tracks include “Sounds Like Somewhere” “Devil We Know”
After hearing his set at the recent 30A Songwriter’s Festival Ani remarked "I learned one thing today, I'm going to have to start listening to more Loudon Wainwright." We completely agree.
We have been reading a ton of suggested articles lately- but this is one of the blogs that has us coming back.
Messy Nessy Chic
Vintage photos, fake houses, and hidden places – this blog covers all of that and more prepared to get lost.
WatchingAlthough we usually come up blank in this topic with the return of Sherlock and Dr. Who’s 50th Anniversary , things are looking up.